Mark talks about the energy, planning, and hard work that has gone into starting a new family business, Lutume, a retail mobile and web boutique selling handmade, one-of-a-kind ceramic art. He discusses the importance of marketing, using writing, visuals, name selection, a website, networking, and well-made promotional items to build and promote the brand. Adele asks […]
Mark and Adele have a conversation about life in the tiny rural Montana town where Adele lives and works. Adele explains why she loves small-town life on the edge of the prairie, and how much she did not love the daily Los Angeles commute she left behind. Even though you have to drive a couple […]
– Mark and Adele are back with new episodes for 2015! In this episode they talk about how busy they have each been with many new projects over the past months which will be the topics for some very interesting upcoming conversations on Oyster900. Mark shares a tip for businesses and individuals who are struggling […]
Adele talks about growing veggies and herbs in the unseasonably warm California winter in a yard with limited light, and shares a tip for an unusual party gift for baby shower guests. Mark talks about shopping at farmers markets in the Pasadena area for a great selection of produce and specialty mushrooms.
Mark and Adele discuss steps for starting a new business with limited resources, using a hypothetical example of a cupcake company. They discuss naming, branding, budget, pricing, and maketing. A website with a good domain name and professional writing is a must-have, along with a social media strategy, because “social media is the wave of […]
– Mark shares his personal story about making and consuming 2 liters or more per day of green drink for 365 consecutive days, about 750 liters total. He talks about buying organic or spray-free fresh produce at the farmers market and about the juicing process using his Omega Juicer and Vitamix. As a cyclist, Mark […]
– In this episode Mark brings up the issue of people who have extra long daily commutes because they work 40, 50, even 85 miles from where they live. Mark does the math to show how living near where you work could actually save money in gas, wear and tear on your car, and insurance, […]
– Mark and Adele talk about the benefits of walking vs. driving, including for exercise, health, mental health and happiness, and for discovering new people and places you may have driven by many times in the past without really seeing them. Mark talks about managing to get in walking time on his treadmill when his […]
– Adele sheds light on what’s growing in her closet, oyster mushrooms. She talks about her recent trip to the Los Angeles County Arboretum for the 2014 Wild Mushroom Fair, presented by the Los Angeles Mycological Society. Adele and Mark discuss the meaning of mycology (the study of mushrooms) and talk about underground mycellial networks. […]
– In this episode, Mark and Adele respond to listener questions about the advantages of audio podcasting, how to subscribe to our podcasts through iTunes and on the web, and how we achieve good sound quality in the Oyster900 studio (which doesn’t have soundproof walls!). Then, they discuss how everyone has skills that can be […]
Mark talks about his lifelong passion for photography, the importance of lighting and filters, and his preference for black-and-white composition.
– Mark talks about a recent hike up to Mt. Lowe above Los Angeles, and how he handled the realization that he was stranded after dark in mountain lion territory. He offers some tips on remaining aware of the time and your surroundings when you’re on a trail, and how to be prepared before you […]
– Adele talks about growing vegetables and herbs in containers on her patio using compost and natural methods.
– Mark talks about going to Chinatown in Los Angeles by Metro Rail for 2014 Lunar New Year festivities.
– This is our very first episode of the Oyster 900 Show with Mark and Adele. As Mark says, because it’s our very first, it’s kind of rough around the edges. We hope you enjoy getting to know us, though, and stay with us as we continue to bring you more shows about many interesting topics […]